Your kitten ate chocolate-covered peanuts? Get ready for a trip to the emergency vet!
Honestly, Loki is a garbage disposal among cats. His kingly appetite is so big that this little kitten ate chocolate-covered peanuts, even though he was just fed.
What Happens When A Cat Eats Chocolate?
Cats aren’t as prone to eat chocolate, but you should still be concerned if they ingest it. Chocolate in significant amounts can cause elevated heart rate, among other heart issues. A cat who eats too much chocolate can suffer from chocolate poisoning due to it containing theobromine and caffeine. Symptoms include:
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Rapid breathing
- Low blood pressure
Muscle stiffness and weakness can also be signs of chocolate poisoning. If you see any of these symptoms or if you catch your cat eating chocolate, take them to the vet immediately.
Is It Worse If A Kitten Eats Chocolate?
From what I gathered from the emergency vet visit after our Loki, our kitten, ate chocolate-covered peanuts, the answer is yes. Kittens could eat the same amount as a full-grown cat, and the reaction will most likely be stronger due to the kitten’s age and weight.
The concern with Loki was not so much the chocolate as it was the peanuts. According to Catster, peanuts “are not poisonous to cats”, but peanuts not properly chewed (or ones with the shells still on them) can cause internal damage. This can be to the digestive tract or the rectum as your cat eliminates them.
Loki is still quite small at 4 1/2 months old, so the vet wanted us to bring him in as soon as possible for treatment.
Treatment For Ingestion Of Chocolate-Covered Peanuts
The first thing the emergency vet did was try to induce vomiting. We waited for almost three hours with no word of how Loki was doing, but we were finally brought to an exam room.
The veterinarian came in and told us that Loki was part of the 40-50% of cats that did NOT vomit after being given vomit-inducing medication. Go figure, huh? That meant he would have to stay overnight and be given activated charcoal to absorb any foreign bodies in his system.
I picked him up yesterday morning only to learn that his royal majesty had been an excellent patient, charming all who saw him. This is the same little s**t that has destroyed a good bit of the house since he was brought here in July. Well, I guess it’s better that he behave at the vet’s office than just at home.
Common Household Foods That Are Poisonous/Toxic To Cats
Chocolate-covered peanuts are not the worst thing in the world for Loki to have consumed, but chocolate toxicity is nothing to joke about. There are plenty of common household foods that are bad for cats (and dogs!).
- Tomatoes (especially green tomatoes) and their leaves
- Avocados (meat, leaves and stems)
- Dairy products (most cats are lactose-intolerant)